Quote – “before you decide to start placing your pie orders from Mrs Generic Cookie-Cutter Bakery, remind yourself that you can create a completely unique and ridiculously flavorful apple pie in your own home. But just beware. Making this pie, will most likely put you on pie duty for the rest of your life.”
1 double pie crust
1 cup unsalted butter
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup water
6-7 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- Melt 1 cup butter in a sauce pan. Stir in 6 Tablespoons flour to form a paste. Add 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with sliced apples, mounded slightly. Top with about half of the sugary caramel sauce.
- Cover with a top crust, using whatever technique you feel comfortable with. A full crust, lattice work, or some other variation you prefer. Gently pour the remaining caramel over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off. Top with a few shakes of cinnamon.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F, and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Once finished baking, let sit out for at least 4 hours, preferably closer to 12 hours. This is a perfect pie to make the day before.
Original Recipe Available from happyfoodhealthylife.com