- 1-1¼ pounds cod or tilapia fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup white wine
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 1Season fish with 1 teaspoon thyme, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and the fish to the pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the fish is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the fish to a large plate; keep warm.
- 2 Whisk cream and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Divide the fish and sauce among 4 shallow bowls.