- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow noodles (2 cups)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1¾ cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¾ cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add frozen broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- 2 Meanwhile, heat 1½ cups milk in another large pot over medium-high heat until just simmering. Whisk the remaining ¼ cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined. Add the flour mixture to the simmering milk; return to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in Cheddar, Parmesan and mustard until the cheese is melted.
- 3 Drain the pasta and broccoli and add to the cheese sauce. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, until heated through, about 1 minute.