- ½ cup prepared salsa
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup well-crushed tortilla chips
- ½ cup grated white onion
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or canola oil, divided
- 8 whole-grain burger buns, toasted
- ½ cup prepared guacamole
- 8 slices tomato slices
- 1 cup sprouts
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Place salsa in a fine-mesh sieve and stir a few times to drain excess liquid. Mash beans with a potato masher in a large bowl until no whole ones remain. Stir in the drained salsa, tortilla chips, grated onion, egg, mayonnaise, chili powder, cumin and salt. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 2 Form the bean mixture into 8 burgers about 3 inches wide ( ⅓ cup each).
- 3 Heat 1½ tablespoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add 4 burgers and cook until browned and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining oil and burgers. Serve the burgers on buns with guacamole, tomato slices, sprouts and red onion.
- To make ahead: Individually wrap cooked burgers and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Microwave to reheat.