- 7 cup(s) water, divided
- 1/2 tsp table salt, divided
- 1 cup(s) uncooked bulgur
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 3 cup(s) uncooked old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup(s) dried apricot halves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 1 large pear(s), red-skinned, diced
- 6 tsp maple syrup, warmed
Bring 2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in bulgur and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until bulgur is cooked, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 3 minutes; fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, bring remaining 5 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in another medium saucepan; stir in oats and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring frequently until cooked, about 10 minutes; remove from heat.
Add bulgur, apricots, cranberries and sugar to oats and stir to combine. Serve cereal topped with diced pear and a drizzle of syrup. Yields about 3/4 cup cereal, a scant tablespoon pear and 1/2 teaspoon syrup per serving.